Thursday, February 14, 2008

VaLenTinEs dAy

See...here's the thing. I don't give a hoot about Valentines Day. Probably because it's a holiday so focused on romantic relationships (and thus has nothing whatsoever to do with me at this point) that I just want to "accidentally" trip most of the love-struck people around me. :) This is not said in anger or frustration, I promise! I just don't see what all the fuss is about! The last time I got a real-live valentine from a boy, I was 12-years-old, in 7th grade, and it freaked me out! Funny? Heck yes! SO funny! The poor poor boy! It's probably because of my premature reaction to his multiple gifts that day that it's been an altogether ordinary experience ever since. (Which I actually find quite funny, by the way!)

I've never had a bad valentines day experience, either, so I can honestly say I don't have negative feelings toward the "holiday." I just don't care about the whole day any more than I do any other day of the year. So...when my roommate asks when I'll be "out for the night," and I'm confused as to why I can't be in my apartment on in what my mind is just another Thursday...this is what bugs me about Valentines Day. I get to rearrange my life and plans to accommodate for the romantic lives of others! Not only that, but at 7:30 this morning, I also had the pleasure of greeting one of my other roommates and random boy #542 all cuddled up on the couch together. What an awesome sight! Just what I wanted to see right after I got out of bed.

SO. Just to celebrate how much I care about this day...




These are pictures (they're very, very attractive. I know.) of last Valentines Day when my friend, Brooke, and I spent 7 hours (yes. 7.) studying psychological statistics because we had a ridiculously horrendous statistics midterm the next morning. I didn't even think about the fact that it was valentines day that day until about 6 p.m. when we decided we were hungry. So we made pancakes. And put pink headbands that said "love" in our hair. Then we ate the pancakes. And then we continued to study. For some people, I guess that would be the worst valentines day ever...but...actually...it was a good day! (I hate statistics, but that is really beside the point.) For me, it's just another day.

Someday, that may change. But frankly, I'd rather celebrate the fact that I love someone every day I'm with them, not just on some ridiculous day out of the year when I have the pleasure of being greeted by the hoardes of crazy lovers all around me.

That's all I'm trying to say! Happy frrrreaking Valentines Day! I'll be watching LOST. And quite frankly, Michael Fox is enough to make a girl happy any day of the week. It's quite possible James Marsden will be involved in the evening somehow as well through clips of "Hairspray" or "Superman Returns"..."Enchanted" and "27 Dresses" just aren't at my immediate disposal right now. Those will have to do. :)

6 comments:

Nicole Anderson said...

So... I pretty much think that's the best commentary EVER on Valentine's Day! You go girl!!!

Nicole Anderson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meagan said...

DeeAura,
That is Awesome. I used to feel the same way about the lovely Valentines Day Holiday, but obviously I don't anymore.

Happy Valentines Day.
I am so glad that you Blog, I needed more friends....

Meagan

Cali said...

The funny thing is.. I think Valentines day is only really great when you are dating or engaged... (which is a small portion of time considering your whole entire lifespan) because once your married, your husband says things like "Honey.. do you really want me to spend $100 on flowers for you?" and you say, "$100??" So then, since it's now "our" money, and not just his... we do things like buy each other a much needed new bag of socks, and say "I love you". Just like you said, we celebrate Valentines every day.. in our own little way. :) Thanks for joining the blogging world.. it really isn't so bad..

Tati said...

Cute blog! I've added you to my friends on my blog.

thesouthams.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

DeeAura's a hottie! (even on V-Day) ;)

-Seth