Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Year's Eve. In a van down by the river.

You think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

Okay, the river part is a lie.

So...New Years Eve. Last year, I fell asleep before midnight on very comfortable carpet with very warm blankets while "watching" Audrey Hepburn movies with my friends also "watching." Picture evidence of how much fun we were having:
And it's a good thing I bought those stupid crowns and noise-makers so everyone would know we weren't on drugs or something instead of just wishing we could go back to sleep. :)

Clearly I had to find some way to top my 2008 going in to 2009 experience.

...which was obviously going to be difficult.

First of all, I had a performance. Yes, I spent New Year's Eve...evening...doing Savior of the World. I guess I could've been upset or complained, but due to my past New Year's Eve behavior, let's just say I didn't think it was all that bad. :)

For the record, I usually love New Year's Eve. And by love, I mean, to me it says playing card games until 3 a.m. with my crazy family, eating cheese and crackers, and finally dying off to "It's a Wonderful Life" or something akin to it. I know. PARTY GIRL.

But THIS YEAR. :) This year, my parents and two youngest siblings came to see the performance that night. My mom and little brother hadn't seen it yet, and tickets were actually available for that night. Miracle of miracles, they got in. :)

So what did I do after the performance? Why, I did what all sensible party girls do and ditched every party I knew about to go hang out with them. :)

And by hang out...I mean...we went grocery shopping?

What? JUDGERS. Wait for it!

The result: I got groceries. duh. Also, the only place we knew of that would actually be open (sorry, employees...) was this Wal-mart down on 1300 south. It has a parking terrace. I've been there before, and both times, I considered the danger of NOT packing heat in said area.

Seriously. It's a little scary.

When we finished shopping and got out to my car and my parent's van, I saw what the plan had been all along. :) My mom had enough cheese and crackers and imitation crab to keep us going for quite a while, and my little brother had somehow managed to convince my mom that TWO giant containers of Jell-o were necessary for a truly classy New Year's Eve treat-night in the van.

In a van. In a ghetto parking terrace. Not packing heat. Eating cheese and crackers. Chugging orange carbonation and chocolate milk. (not simultaneously) Watching my brother try to live up to his promise to eat the entire container of orange jello salad. CLASSY.

Insert huge, happy grin.
Now laugh hysterically because there's no way little Adam can eat that much Jell-o. :)

It cracks me up all over again just thinking about the awesomeness. Mehehehehhehe...

I think the only thing more awesome is shooting off fireworks and eating lil smokies while chillin in the back of a pickup truck in my local ShopKo parking lot.

...which, come to think of it, is a stellar idea for next year.

My family is hysterical just in case you didn't know.

Welcome, 2010! If the rest of you is this funny, I'm sooo in. :)

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

what?! I am so sad that I missed out on this party. Next year, you better count me in.
and ps. I would really really love to see Adam eat that much Jell-o. yep.

Lindsay RC Wilson said...

So, that van....was it a super huge van?

Jennifer said...

I just told Adam that you wrote about him on your blog, and he said...... "not surprising"

!!! Is this boy for real?! And he said he ate the whole jello salad by the way. yikes.

DeeAura said...

"not surprising"?????!!!!! And maybe he ate all the jell-o WAY LATER, but he sure didn't by midnight!!! hahahah


And yes. Lindsay. A very big super huge van. Much like the one from my dream. Hahha. :)

Rebecca McDermott said...

Love it! You stay classy!