(not to be confused with ♫ The Wizard and I ♫)
Today, just as he was about to jam a needle into my gums to numb me up before he drilled my face off, my dentist told me some of his patients have told him they would rather give birth than go to the dentist.Awesome. Thank you.
And then he had the nerve to ask me if I was nervous.
Okay, seriously, do you think this is my first dental experience?
I only WISH.
Okay, seriously, do you think this is my first dental experience?
I only WISH.
I mean, I've never given birth, but I tell you what...I'm a brave kid. I can handle things that make a lot of other kids cry. But seriously? In that very moment, I might have willingly traded my oh so willing drill-master for labor pains and a giant needle in my back.
I also fully reserve the right to retract that statement in the next 10 years or so when I get around to giving birth.
The other thing you should know is that I could brush, floss and rinse 3 times every day AND avoid sugar at all costs (which I almost already do) and I would still have at least two cavities every time I go in for a check-up.
I say this after a lifetime of knowledge. A good many years have been put into this personal research of mine, and even after a pristine cleaning track record any dental hygienist would be proud of, I have yet to ever come away from a dentist appointment with a clean record.
I hate the dentist. But it's not his fault. At least I think it's not his fault.
Sometimes, though, especially when I've been extremely diligent about my oral hygiene, when dear old dentist-man tells me I need my 9 millionth root canal, it always takes every ounce of my self-control to not tell him to go sit in the corner for a few hours without getting paid and think about what he's just told me. Just to make sure he's not telling me LIES.
Also, I don't know why, but I burn through the numb-ness faster than he can ever finish. This means DeeAura gets about four different shots to the face with every side that needs some work. Equals giant headache when he finally IS finished.
* sigh *
I'm just saying this because I just got done with another dentist appointment and I really think it will just never end.
Also, I only had 4 ibuprofen in my purse, and I need muchooooo more.
I guess the plus-side of this moment is that I write to you currently 100% cavity-free.
I do have a cleaning next month, though, so...hey, we'll see.
*grumble*
Ask me why I pay this man money to bring me pain.
I'm a smart girl, but this feels DUMB.
hahahah
...but ask me tomorrow when I've had more ibuprofen.
I'm just saying this because I just got done with another dentist appointment and I really think it will just never end.
Also, I only had 4 ibuprofen in my purse, and I need muchooooo more.
I guess the plus-side of this moment is that I write to you currently 100% cavity-free.
I do have a cleaning next month, though, so...hey, we'll see.
*grumble*
In addition to all of that, this is the same dentist who used to hit on me and every other female patient while he had his hands in my mouth. There are so many problems with this form of communication...let alone the fact I just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible in the first place.
The ever-present question on my mind was the whereabouts of his wedding ring. Once, I even asked to be scheduled with his older, married, father of 4-5 children brother who also works in the same office. Just to have one flirt-free dental session.
Lucky for all of us, he got married recently. :) Now he just asks me about my jeans, my shoes, and my purse, and follows it up with "That looks like something my wife would wear."
LJ, I hope you're taking our mission seriously to still find out if she was a patient. I have serious bets on it. Although...I'd say his marriage has greater chances of survival if he was never her dentist.
The ever-present question on my mind was the whereabouts of his wedding ring. Once, I even asked to be scheduled with his older, married, father of 4-5 children brother who also works in the same office. Just to have one flirt-free dental session.
I have no problem whatsoever with it if a guy wants to hit on me. Just...please...not while his hands are jammed in my mouth, seeking out opportunities to drill, and my lip/cheek feels four times its actual size.
Lucky for all of us, he got married recently. :) Now he just asks me about my jeans, my shoes, and my purse, and follows it up with "That looks like something my wife would wear."
His wife better be young, hot, and filthy rich.
LJ, I hope you're taking our mission seriously to still find out if she was a patient. I have serious bets on it. Although...I'd say his marriage has greater chances of survival if he was never her dentist.
Ask me why I pay this man money to bring me pain.
I'm a smart girl, but this feels DUMB.
hahahah
...but ask me tomorrow when I've had more ibuprofen.
8 comments:
I've been to the dentist with you, and I watched them pull a tooth from your jaw (I also heard it crack as it was breaking from your jaw). I would also trade (in the moment) to be in labor than to have my face drilled off. However, atleast your nether-regions aren't torn and today you can sit down right? :) I've had kids and I too am scared of the dentist.
oh dear sister. You really should be paid to write this stuff! You captured my feelings to a tee about the dentist. Yes, I too am more scared of the dentist that of giving birth. :) ha. But, on the other hand, birth was really easy for me, and my dentist experience was AWFUL!!!
thanks again. you are the best
Funny; I started humming "the Wizard and I" when I saw the title of your post on my blogroll...
I hate dentists. I do. And I get cavities like nobody's business too. It makes life seem so unfair though, doesn't it?
Ok so I actually like laying in the dentist chair. I like the light warming my face. I always have to make an effort to focus on staying awake because I feel like I could take the most awesome nap due to my comfort with said chair, light, and also little bib thingy that feels like a little blankey. I don't even mind getting cavities filled. BUT I still HATE Dentists. Their "God complex, bow down to me, I'm having the same small talk conversation with you that I've had with my 8 previous patients to make you think I actually care, I know everything because I'm a doctor" attitude is what bugs me! Boo to Dentists. And that's the all of your glimpse into my anti-denti rage for now. :)
Gee Dee! I go to the dentist just for kicks! You KNOW I LOVE ALL Dentists! Not! :)
So i blame utah and their lack of floridated water. Not trying to make you feel bad at all, but I grew up in a state with floridated water, brush my teeth like you and have been lucky to never have a cavity. The doctor however is a whole 'nother story. When you have to spend ridiculous amounts of time in a doctor's office I'm here for ya. I can vent about sitting around naked for an hour waiting for them to finish up conversations, being poked 20 times looking for a vein, and on and on.
I miss you and wish you better luck with your next appointment.
Um, I'd say it might be good to look for a different dentist. I guess it could be worse--a doctor hitting on you while you're in your whatever-those-things-are-called paper robe. But still...grr!
Some people get cavities; some people don't. It's one of the many injustices in the world.
Glad to hear you made it and that you're 100% cavity free. :)
You crack me up! I miss you. Just so you know, you are not the only one who NEVER leaves the dentist with a clean record. I always have cavities--it's embarrassing too because Nick's dad is my dentist. Man, what I'd give for better enamel. Oh well....so is life! :)
Post a Comment