Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My life as Flat Stanley's Travel Agent


Flat Stanley. He's the greatest grade school project I've ever heard of. Seriously. One of my co-worker's little boys is in about the 3rd grade. Apparently, the 3rd grade is the coolest because you get to participate in the "Flat Stanley" project. Flat Stanley is a paper man (NOT a doll) whose mission it is to travel around with people and show up in their pictures. After the pictures are taken, the 3rd grader to whom this particular Stanley belongs, will write a story about Flat Stanley in this particular place. Flat Stanley has found his way to our office. We all try and figure out the coolest places we'll be going that day for who gets to take Stanley along for the ride. Last week, I won because my friend, Nicole, was getting married in Logan. Stanley had never been to Logan before, let alone the temple, so - I got voted as the one with the coolest plans for the day. Flat Stanley camped out on my desk the whole day before so I'd remember to take him. Ahem. As I approached the city limits of Logan that day, I froze in horror.

I had forgotten Flat Stanley.

The next morning when I walked into work, my first item of business was to attempt to right the wrong I had done the day before. I knew everyone in the office would know I had forgotten Stanely. They would have seen him on my desk. However, I thought maybe, just maybe, if I was funny enough, I'd be forgiven. So I quickly googled a picture of the Logan temple in the winter, whipped out my cell phone, and held Flat Stanley up to my computer screen. *click* and send. I went online, downloaded the picture, and sent it in an email to my co-worker, J.D. I made sure to send a very honest email specifying how much fun Flat Stanley had in Logan the day before...and what a shame it would have been had I forgotten him. I never would have done such a thing, however. CLEARLY.

A few minutes later, I got an email back from J.D. This picture showed up, and I just about died laughing as I read J.D.'s email. He explained he had caught me in a lie due to the picture he had just received from Flat Stanley of his adventures the day before. Take a look at that neat cropping job, and you'll see I have NOT been outdone! Haha...darn Stanley.

I tried to apologize, but no matter what I did, nothing could make up for leaving Stanley behind. I knew it, and everyone else did too. It was a horrible, no good, very bad feeling. :(

Finally, after much debate within myself, I came up with the perfect solution: I would take Flat Stanley to his very first viewing of LOST. Yes, LOST. For those who don't know, I am an avid supporter of this star in the cinematic firmament. :) I figured it was the least I could do...to share this moment with Flat Stanley. Every Thursday night, I go watch LOST with some of the greatest people I know. I knew it would be a hit. Stanley would love it. I presented the idea to J.D., and he seemed a little skeptical due to my previous ventures, but agreed only after I promised Flat Stanley would not leave my side, and I would explain all the details to him. Yessssss!

Ahem. I think it's safe to say Flat Stanley had a GRAND time Thursday night. Check your local listings for Flat Stanley's cameo appearance as a guest star on this week's...LOST. (dun, dun, duuuuuunnnn...)
As much fun as it was, I have now resigned my post as Stan the Man's agent, and am turning his cultural education over to the next unsuspecting co-worker.
P.S. Please don't tease him about his half rubbed off golden mustache. It's a very sensitive subject.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Hahahaha! I LOVE FLAT STANLEY!

Tati said...

Hey, I made my blog private now after reading this article:
http://deseretnews.com/article/1%2C5143%2C695263641%2C00.html

I didn't invite you because I don't have your email address. If you want to still see my blog, send your email address to me at tati.southam@gmail.com.

Tati said...

Hey, I made my blog private now after reading this article:
http://deseretnews.com/article/1%2C5143%2C695263641%2C00.html

I didn't invite you because I don't have your email address. If you want to still see my blog, send your email address to me at tati.southam@gmail.com.