Sunday, October 5, 2008

The MOA Extravaganza

Every couple months or so, I get a little invitation in my work mailbox for some new event at the Museum of Art on BYU campus.  Anytime a new exhibit is coming, I'll get an invite to come partake of said exhibit.  Honestly, I've thought about going once or twice, but something else always comes up, or I was the only one who was dying to go see an art exhibit.  :)  But this time, my dear roommate, Shallie, thought it sounded like a great idea.  Actually, it was her idea in the first place, and when she brought it up, I suddenly remembered the last little artsy invitation I had recently received.  I found the invitation, and we discovered this next exhibit was for the new Japanese exhibit.  Perfect!  We were excited, but we had no idea just how great it would be!!!

My favorite part (uh...outside of the obvious awesomeness of the actual ART...) was the sushi refreshments.  :)  Yahooo!!  Free sushi?!  Heck yes.  Even if it's the kind you can buy in the grocery store.  Shallie isn't really a seafood kind of girl...thus, not yet a partaker of sushi in all its goodness.  I quickly picked up my free little plate of sushi, and was shocked to see her just getting a little glass of water.  Uh...HELLO, Shall!!  Free Sushi!!!  Much to her dismay, I made her take a little plate.  She was a great first-time-eater-of-sushi sport...but was understandably nervous.  But I explained to her it was mostly rice....  :)  Here we have before....
And...uh...after....HAHAHAH!!!  She clearly wasn't a huge fan!  However, I told her this was really more like getting a McDonalds cheeseburger vs. one from, say, Red Robin or otherwise.  This was fast food sushi, really.  She has agreed to make a Happy Sumo visit at least once with us.  :)  See?!  Great sport!!  :)
The art was beautiful.  There were a surprising amount of people there!  It was crazy...we almost couldn't get through to see all the art.  Shallie and I agreed we would acually like to go back sometime when it wasn't the opening night and just have the time and space to actually take in the art.  The event itself was so much fun!  People were dressed up in their traditional Japanese garb, they had people at little tables, painting people's names on slips of tissue-like paper in Japanese...and the musical entertainment was certainly unique as well!  It was well worth the time!  I can't wait to go back!

No comments: