Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum

So...the other day I went to a performance showcase with a good friend of mine, and as we were walking in to the venue, a woman was talking to the group of us, and the subject of Haiti came up. We were talking about different fundraiser opportunities we'd heard about and donating, etc.

Suddenly, the woman stopped mid-sentence, looked at us quizzically, and asked:

"Who's Haiti?"

We all stopped, looked at her, saw how serious and genuine she was, and burst into fits of laughter. :) It's really a good thing I was almost to my seat, since I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to remain standing for much longer.
What joy. :)

And speaking of Haiti, there are a million ways to help. I won't even try to name every single one I've heard of. But here's one I thought was a little new and different:

http://www.dosomething.org/teensforjeans/home
http://www.dosomething.org/teensforjeans/haiti
The first 100,000 pairs of jeans collected will be sent to support homeless teens in Haiti.


You can also donate money to help those in Haiti and read the official statement from the LDS church HERE. Also, make sure to check the side bar to the right on that webpage for updates on what the relief efforts are doing.

Even if you can't catch the soonest flight to Haiti or donate money, read up:

"Money is not the only need in Haiti. People are frightened, bewildered, and wholly uncertain about their future. In addition to what people can do in helping with food, water, and shelter, there needs to be a calming influence over that troubled nation. We invite our people everywhere to supplicate God for a spirit of calm and peace among the people as urgent aid and reconstruction efforts continue."
-January 2010 statement issued by the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.


"Who's Haiti?"
...I guess the question wasn't so ridiculous after all.

1 comment:

Becki said...

Cool Post! Thanks Dee Aura!