Friday, May 29, 2009

To be better...

Make Time to Immerse Yourself in the Scriptures

"As I think about your schedules and the pressures you face at this time in your lives, I can understand why scripture study can so easily be neglected. You have many demands pulling at you. In some cases, just maintaining your social life is a full-time occupation. But I plead with you to make time for immersing yourselves in the scriptures. Couple scripture study with your prayers. Half an hour each morning privately studying, pondering, and communicating with your Heavenly Father can make an amazing difference in your lives. It will give increased success in your daily activities. It will bring increased alertness to your minds. It will give you comfort and rock-steady assurance when the storms of life descend upon you."

M. Russell Ballard, "Be Strong in the Lord, and in the Power of His Might" (CES fireside for young adults, March 3, 2002), 3–4

* sigh * Summer's here again...(breathe, breathe...i have a great job, i have a great job...) I have this somewhat ridiculous fear of dropping the ball at this time of year. But. I figure this crazy-busy feeling isn't really ever going to go away completely; it will just change in its timing and frequency and circumstances throughout life, so I should just get on the bandwagon already and quit being such a baby. :) And though I'm pretty good about staying balanced (or at least I try) a good old-fashioned reminder now and again sure doesn't hurt. Plus, my patience and clarity could ALWAYS use a good boost!

Seriously. Half an hour each morning. I've done it before, but this quote made me miss that feeling. (I study at night these days, but I'm just pretty sure it's not as productive for me...) Clearly, an adjustment needs to be made. :)

Normally, this would just be a moment with myself; a reminder to be better. But just thinking about the difference it makes for me...well, I couldn't help but share it. :)

Peace out. Funny stories and ridiculous observations to come soon, be sure of it.

6 comments:

Katie B. said...

Thanks, Sister. I felt like I've needed to be better lately, too.

Becki said...

Amen! Thanks Deeaura!

Mindy said...

Each MORNING. Ohhh, I think each of us remember those good old days ... Why do we all seem to change it to night? Have you made the switch back to morning?? How is it going for you? Maybe I should make the switch too ... Ugh ... Don't wanna! :) P.s. I have a feeling I will be seeing you in LOGAN on FRIDAY. Is my feeling right? :)

Loni and Tyler said...

That's such a great reminder. THanks for that special golden nugget!

Carla said...

yay, i love blogs and blog stalking people! I'm so glad I found yours :)

Unknown said...

I definitely need some work on the scripture studying department!

I can't believe I didn't get invited to the Laurel lunch. BOO ON THAT!!! All you girls are beautiful in that picture on Alaina's blog!