Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dear DARLA*,

* name has been changed to protect the guilty from everyone else but me.

Remember the time last week our managers had us move a week earlier than expected? Remember how it has been insane? Remember how we had Alaina's wedding last weekend, and how we're still in boxes and unorganized? Remember how I HATE being in boxes?

Huh. Well, I do.

Then, remember how my dearest darlingest roommate Darla* forgot to change our utilities until the night before they were getting turned off by the previous tenants? And remember how she was five minutes too late to stop us from having access to that oh, so precious commodity?

OKAY THEN. That's enough background.

In order to fully enjoy this new adventure, I slept with all the windows open. I used my cell phone as a light until it was about to die. Then I turned it off so it would still have enough juice to wake up the following morning. Remember how it's really hot? Okay, so I found the biggest T-shirt I had and zonked.
...so there I was...sleeping soundly, peacefully, almost blissfully...(finally) when

BLEEEEEEEEEEP BLEEEEEEEEEP BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

I think I flew out of bed.

Holy CRAP. What WAS that?! But the sound didn't stop. Oh, no. It kept going, louder than ever.

Finally it hit my tired brain that the sound was a fire alarm, and as far as I knew, I was the only one home when I had gone to bed. But then again, I had no idea what time it was, due to the absence of electricity in my home. (note to self: get a clock requiring batteries for emergencies. keep batteries close. along with flashlight. yes. great plan.) Great work, Darla-fo-farla*. ;) And who knows what could've triggered that alarm?I started running for my bedroom door when I remembered I was only wearing a giant T-shirt. On the off-chance I have to run out of my blazing apartment, I think I'd rather have something else clothing me.

You know. So I don't have to run outside in my unmentionables.

I knew I had basketball shorts right by my bed...but they were nowhere to be found. In a split second, I grabbed some pants out of my drawer, only to discover they were capris...barely longer than the giant T-shirt. Whatever.

In my haste, I freely admit I cared less about fashion and more about decency and not dying a possibly fiery death, so...I pulled 'em on, opened my bedroom door, and glanced down the hall to see a warm, fiery glow coming from my roommate, Darla's room.

Now, let it be written that I had an actual panic attack. Was Darla there?? Despite Darla's forgetfulness, I dearly love Darla! (it's really fun to call her Darla right now...) I prefer Darla's safety. But before I could even take one step more, Darla came calmly strolling out of her bedroom with a lit candle.

Apparently I asked Darla if there was a fire.

Apparently that's funny.

Apparently I should knock Darla's head off.

No fire. Darla just couldn't see in the dark, so Darla lit a candle. Right under the smoke detector. Now, on one hand, why didn't I think of lighting a candle? But on the other hand...I guess I can stop peeing my capris and go back to getting my heart-rate back to normal as I try to fall back asleep in my bed in my giant T-shirt.

I hate you, Darla.

* sigh * Oh, come on Darla. You know I love you. But seriously.

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

Bahaha. "Darla" is sorry. But only a little sorry. Because seriously... HOW FUNNY IS THIS POST?! :)

Cali said...

That's the funniest thing I've EVER read. WAHAHAHAHAHAA... so awesome! I wish I could have seen that....

sobby aubs said...

Now I'm SO sad that I was "sleeping" in my other apt! Stupid LOST... and Laundry! I could've experienced this.

And it is funny.

Chelle said...

Hahahahahaha!!! Oh, I think I love this Darla girl. :) And I wish I lived with you guys. And I love this post. And you. And ice cream.

Nicole Anderson said...

Dear Darla,
We hate your stinkin' guts...
You make us vomit...
You are scum between our toes...
Love,
The Andersons

Ps- Of course we really don't hate Darla, but this was too good to pass up. Love you Dee, thanks for sharing!

Rebecca McDermott said...

One- I think I know who Darla is.
Two- I wish I was there so I could hide in your closet and scare you in the dark.... PS the word I have to type to post this comment is entards.... what does that mean? I thought of retard and then thought entards is a retarded word... The End

Carla said...

i love you, and i can't wait to get back officially and complain about all the people taking "my" parking spots at the omni